Bloomingdale High School Counseling Department

Home of the Bulls

header photo

What is dual enrollment?

Dual enrollment is an acceleration program that allows secondary students to take postsecondary coursework and simultaneously earn credit toward high school completion and an industry certification, or an associate or baccalaureate degree at a Florida public or eligible private institution.


What is early admission?

Early admission is a form of dual enrollment permitting high school students to enroll in college or career courses on a full-time basis on a college or technical center campus. As with all dual enrollment programs, students earn both high school and college/career credits for courses completed. Participation in the career early admission program shall be limited to students who have completed a minimum of four (4) semesters of full-time secondary enrollment, including studies undertaken in the ninth grade.


Who is eligible for dual enrollment courses?

Students must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • Be enrolled as a student in a Florida public or nonpublic secondary school, or in a home education program;
  • Have a 3.0 unweighted high school grade point average (GPA) to enroll in college credit courses, or a 2.0 high school unweighted GPA to enroll in career dual enrollment courses;
  • Take a college placement test specified in Rule 6A-10.0315, F.A.C.; and meet any additional eligibility criteria specified by the postsecondary institution in the Dual Enrollment Articulation Agreement; and
  • Cannot be scheduled to graduate prior to the completion of the dual enrollment course

Is dual enrollment right for everyone?

The dual enrollment program is an opportunity to take challenging courses and accelerate education opportunities. Students who successfully complete dual enrollment courses will save time toward their college degree and save money with free tuition and textbooks. Students should understand, however, that dual enrollment courses are college courses and the amount of work necessary to succeed in dual enrollment courses may be much greater than in high school courses. In addition, dual enrollment courses become a part of a student’s permanent college transcript and are calculated into the student’s permanent postsecondary GPA. Poor performance as a dual enrollment student can ultimately impact one’s postsecondary career, including academic standing and financial aid eligibility. It is important to do well in these courses to realize all the benefits of dual enrollment.



  1. Select a course. Search for classes here and search for dates and times here. All courses MUST be approved by a counselor. It is the student's responsibility to select a course that is offered at a time when the student is available to take it. Please note that your counselor has limited ability to help you select a course. We can make SOME suggestions but we are not college advisers. Our approval of a course is limited to helping you select courses that aren't duplicated by your high school classes but we are not able to help plan a student's college curriculum. 

  2. Turn in all necessary paperwork. Be sure to check out the handbook on HCC's website for all the forms. Packets are also available in the Guidance Office. You will need form B if you are planning to take a course during the school year. You will need form E if you are taking a course over the summer. Forms B and E require an administrator AND a counselor's signature. It is the STUDENT'S responsibility to turn in all forms on time. Counselors are not allowed to sign forms after the due date. Please visit the Dual Enrollment page of HCC's website for the list of due dates. Paperwork must be RECEIVED by HCC (not postmarked) by the deadline date. If you intend to submit the paperwork the day it is due, you must turn it in to HCC's Dual Enrollment offices on Davis Island. 

  3. Get your textbooks. Textbooks are also free for dually enrolled students. Students must now order textbooks through the school district's website. Directions can be found here

  4. Get your grades. Transcripts will be sent automatically by HCC once the course is complete, but sometimes this takes a few weeks to be done, especially for summer courses. If you need your HCC grades added to your transcript sooner, you are welcome to request your transcript from HCC directly and bring us an official copy.